Thursday, February 21, 2008

Beginning

I have been big for my entire adult life. As a child I was very active climbing trees, skipping rope, running, swimming, skating... I took gymnastics even. I was always one who did very well in track and field. As a teenager in high school I wasn't one of the most skinny people, but I wasn't fat either. In grade 9 I even lost so much weight I was 99lbs. However at that time I did not do it right. Throughout high school I was comfortable with myself though. Also in high school I met my husband. I was 15. Since then I have continuously gained weight. Now don't get me wrong I am not in any way blaming him. We went out to eat a lot.

By 19 years old I had gotten what I thought then quite big. I lost some weight and felt better. The years went on. And then we were married. Not long after we had our first baby. During that pregnancy I gained something like 75 or 80lbs. I did not have an easy delivery, and the weight even though I lost it all. It was just distributed differently. Things didn't go back to the way they were. My hips, tummy, legs.. were just shaped different. Time went by and we had our second baby. During that pregnancy I only gained 27lbs, and I lost that quickly, but was again left with a different body shape. Exercise has never been my thing, and now with two kids to take care of. I find little time for myself. Again... don't think I'm blaming anyone for this. It's my own doing. I'm well aware of that.

I turned 30 years old last month. I know my body is changing again. I know the older I get the harder it is going to be to lose the weight. I'm not happy with me and I want to be. I want to be able to run and play with the kids. I want to be able to cross my legs again. I want to be able to bend over to put my socks on without having a little trouble. I'd LOVE to look down and see my toes again! haha. But most of all I want to be healthy.

So this is where my journey begins. I last shocked myself at 240lbs. In the past two weeks that I've been trying to be careful of what I eat I have already started to lose. I weighed myself yesterday at 228 lbs.

I start Weight Watchers on Tuesday. I'm very excited for this. I like the points system. I've already been following it giving myself 28 points/day. I'm not sure if that's what they're going to give me, but I've been doing good on it. I'm not hungry. I'm eating healthy. I'm alot more conscious of what goes in my mouth. And I've already seen some results. I know I will do well this time because I am not on a diet. That's where so many people don't quite understand me. It's not a diet. It's living. It's living healthy. Without all the cookies, and chips, and junk. Of course I will still eat those things. Just not the whole bag!

I've decided to write down my journey here for myself to be able to look back and see what I've accomplished, to record my thoughts and my feelings and if you'd like to you can "wait with me"
and see what happens!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you, jen! you're right...it's not about going on a diet, it's about changing what you eat. people think you have to cut out the "bad" foods altogether, but you don't. if you do, you'll end up gorging. it's all about moderation.

March 2, 2008 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger AJ in Nashville said...

Jen, This is tremendous. Even though I've 'known' you for four years, I had no idea you ever struggled with your weight. I'm so proud of you for taking this important step -- it really is crucial to your health going forward. It also hits home a bit with me because my wife is pretty much in the same situation right now; she's the heaviest she's ever been, and is completely beside herself over it. I'll be watching your progress (and as of this point of commenting on a post that's seven months old, I know that you've already made great strides!) to perhaps be able to better support Michelle as she begins her similar journey, hopefully to return to a healthier, happier self-image.

God bless you, girl! Keep it up!

September 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home